Designed and developed with our cloud-first principles in mind, SQL Server 2014 builds on the momentum of SQL Server 2012, released just 14 months ago. We are excited to share a closer look at some of the exciting capabilities included in SQL Server 2014 that will help you unlock real-time insights with mission critical and cloud performance.
SQL Server 2014 helps organizations by delivering:
- Mission Critical Performance across all database workloads with In-Memory for online transaction processing (OLTP), data warehousing and business intelligence built-in as well as greater scale and availability
- Platform for Hybrid Cloud enabling organizations to more easily build, deploy and manage database solutions that span on-premises and cloud
- Faster Insights from Any Data with a complete BI solution using familiar tools like Excel
Mission Critical Performance with SQL Server 2014
SQL Server 2014 delivers new in-memory capabilities built into the core database for OLTP and data warehousing, which complement existing in-memory data warehousing and business intelligence capabilities for a comprehensive in-memory database solution. In addition to in-memory, there are new capabilities to improve the performance and scalability for your mission critical applications.
In Memory Built-In
- New In-Memory OLTP – built in to core SQL Server database and uniquely flexible to work with traditional SQL Server tables allowing you to improve performance of your database applications without having to refresh your existing hardware. We are seeing customers such as EdgeNet and bwin achieve significant performance gains to scale and accelerate their business.
- Enhanced In-Memory ColumnStore for Data Warehousing – now updatable with even faster query speeds and with greater data compression for more real-time analytics support.
- New buffer pool extension support to non-volatile memory such as solid state drives (SSDs) – Increase performance by extending SQL Server in-memory buffer pool to SSDs for faster paging.
- New Enhanced Query Processing – speeds all SQL Server queries regardless of workload.
Enhanced Availability, Security and Scalability
- Enhanced AlwaysOn – Built upon the significant capabilities introduced with SQL Server 2012, delivers mission critical availability with up to 8 readable secondaries and no downtime during online indexing operations.
- Greater scalability of compute, networking and storage with Windows Server 2012 R2 –
- Increased scale – Continue to benefit from scale for up to 640 logical processors and 4TB of memory in a physical environment and up to 64 virtual processors and 1TB of memory per VM.
- Network Virtualization – Abstracts networking layer so that it you can easily migrate SQL Server from one datacenter to another.
- Storage Virtualization with Storage Spaces – Create pools of storage and storage tiers allowing your hot data to access the premium storage and cold data to access standard storage improving resilience, performance and predictability.
- Enhanced Resource Governance – With Resource Governor, SQL Server today helps you with scalability and predictable performance, and in SQL Server 2014, new capabilities allow you to manage IO, in addition to compute and memory to provide more predictable performance.
- Enhanced Separation of Duties – Achieve greater compliance with new capabilities for creating role and sub-roles. For example, a database administrator can now manage the data without seeing sensitive data or personally identifiable information.
Platform for Hybrid Cloud
Continue at source: SQL Server 2014 A Closer Look - SQL Server Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs