Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2012 Update 1 is the newest version of MDT, a Solution Accelerator for operating system and application deployment. MDT 2012 Update 1 supports deployment of Windows 8, Windows 7, Office 2010 and 365, Windows Server 2012, and Windows Server 2008 R2 in addition to deployment of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP.
Deploy Windows and Office 2010 with Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2012 Update 1. MDT is the recommended process and toolset for automating desktop and server deployment. MDT provides you with the following benefits:
- Unified tools and processes, including a set of guidance, for deploying desktops and servers in a common deployment console.
- Reduced deployment time and standardized desktop and server images, along with improved security and ongoing configuration management.
Some of the key changes in MDT 2012 Update 1 are:
- Added support for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.
- Support for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1 CTP: Added support in MDT for deploying Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 with Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 CTP, while supporting all new Configuration Manager functionality (offline BitLocker, UEFI, and Assessment and Deployment Kit).
- Support for DaRT 8 Beta: Updated MDT to support DaRT 8 for Windows 8 deployments, while continuing to support DaRT 7 for Windows 7 deployments. Added DaRT support for Configuration Manager scenarios.
- New “Build Your Own Pages” User-Driven Installation (UDI) feature: Enhanced the UDI wizard and designer to enable IT pros to design their own wizard pages with little effort.
- New System Center 2012 - Orchestrator support: Provided the ability to add steps into an OS deployment task sequence to execute Orchestrator runbooks as part of the deployment process.
- Other improvements: Added support for Windows PowerShell 3.0, reworked Roles and Features installation logic for Windows 8, improved “boot from VHD” deployment scenarios, and added support for Configuration Manager monitoring.
Choosing the Right Version
MDT is available for x86 and x64 platforms. Select the version that corresponds with your host hardware type. Both versions of MDT 2012 support deployment of x86 and x64 Windows operating systems.
The original release of MDT 2012 Update 1 was version 6.1.2369.0 (Version 6.1 on this page), available for download on August 16, 2012. It added support for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager RTM, Windows 8 RTM, and Windows Server 2012 RTM products. It can be identified as build 6.1.2369.0 in the MDT Workbench console and in the installer program properties.
MDT 2012 Update 1 version 6.1.2373.0 (Version 6.1.1 on this page) was made available for download on September 19, 2012 and adds support for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager CU1 and System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1 Beta. It can be identified as MDT build 6.1.2373.0 in the MDT Workbench console or in the installer program properties. This is the latest version and we recommend all users run the latest version when they can to ensure the smoothest experience during future upgrades.
The What's New in MDT 2012 guide and Release Notes are available as separate downloads on this page for those who want to quickly evaluate MDT 2012. The full package of guidance is available in .chm format as part of the toolkit. For those who want it in Word format, a separate download is available in the Files in this Download list.